Jetta GLI And R Renders - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Jetta GLI And R Renders

I know the new Jetta has just been revealed and it may be too early to think about performance variants, but X-tomi doesn't think so and came out with renderings if a GLI and R variant.

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:38 AM

Loving the looks of both these concepts, but have to say just looking at them that they don't look cheap. I have a good feeling that the baseline Jetta's price will be a long ways off from these models. Lets hope we get some rumored price points soon.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 AM

Can't wait to see what VW has in store for the future Jetta GLI and if it looks anything like that rendering it's going to be pretty popular. The outgoing GLi has a 2.0-liter turbo four with 210 horsepower, so a substantial increase would be much welcomed.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

A GTI model with the looks of that R rendering seems like a better combination. It's hard to tell how much of a power jump one generation will see compared to the previous one, for all we know a next gen performance Jetta could deliver 220 hp or 250. Who knows.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 10:03 AM

Now that I'm looking at the GLI front facia more, it looks like a smiley face and that reminds me of Mazda cars. Agree with you, a GLI model with the looks of that R would be the perfect combination. Would be a shame to lose the fog lights to make room for larger air intake vents, but that's a hit I'm willing to take.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:26 AM

It looks VW has confirmed production of a GLI Jetta. Some think the GLI might get the same 2.0-liter turbocharged, 4-cylinder engine found in the Golf GTI, and owners might even get to pick between a 6-speed manual and a dual-clutch transmission.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 10:10 AM

Would the Golf GTI's 220 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque engine be enough for the Jetta as is? Or do you think VW will tune it for more power?
Personally think it'l be d-etuned so people won't abandon the Golf for the Jetta, but it would be nice if the specs stayed the same.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 11:09 AM

It hard to say what VW will do with the performance trims of the new Jetta. Although they may want to keep the higher performance specs for their Golf, there have been some sleeper models of the Jetta in recent years. I think with the extra weight found in the sedan that the performance will have to be increased as a result.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:39 PM

They might have to reconfigure the trims in order to make the Jetta more competitive if they don't do that then we can see it suffering the same fate as it has in Europe. However that i won't mind, let the Arteon flourish.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 10:59 AM

As much as I would like to see the Arteon succeed, I think its going to take more than a name change a lower roof for something at this price point to beat the Passat. A bunch of publications have suggested its simply a Passat CC with a different name. At least it was released with an R line variant right from the get go.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page