Ambient lighting - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Moredoor

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Ambient lighting

I've heard the new Jetta is going to be offered with an optional 10-color ambient lighting system. With it, you can set white as default, switch to red while in Sport mode and blue in Eco mode. A lot more unique than what I've seen in other cars, though not sure if it's worth the extra cost.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 11:06 AM

Just a useless add-on IMO, though some may enjoy the various light settings in their Jetta. But I'll find it annoying over time or it'll just become a forgotten feature. That money could be better spent elsewhere and on something more useful.
Vchez likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 11:47 AM

All depends upon the additional cost that comes with the ambient lighting system. I think it would make far more sense for it to just be included with tech package, as I doubt it's something that most drivers will be willing to pay extra for. I like the fact that it can be customized however, and that it automatically adjusts depending on the drive mode.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 12:15 PM

I want it. Even if it comes with an additional cost, I think that's a really neat feature that encourages the driver to utilize the different driving modes. I wonder what the additional 8 color options are for, and whether or not you can set different default lighting styles. As simple a feature as it is, I think any that allows for greater user customization should be welcomed.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:32 PM

Its just a simple application of them using what's in bigger more luxurious products and bringing it to a segment that's often left out. People like feel good things and this lighting system does well with that.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:05 AM

It would be smart for automakers to use this shifting light system, as a means of conveying safety information. So for example the lights go from blue to red, when a car or pedestrian enters close proximity of the car. I think any method of further conveying safety alerts to drivers, should be capitalized on.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

I don't think the shifting light system would do much in safety related situations so long as an automatic braking system is installed. The computer will be able to react faster than you in the time it takes for the lights to change, you to notice and then take appropriate action. It'll be a fun add-on depending on the price because there's no way I'm paying more that $100 for an aesthetic upgrade.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 05:58 PM

It might come down to governments requiring car makers to include this stuff as standard and one sign of that could be more car makers offering it in anticipation of the regulation.
We're not that far off from it at the rate things are moving at these days when it comes to safety equipment.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 05:53 PM

I like the ambient lighting a lot. Especially with my light up GLI 35 door sills

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page