Prototype Jetta Is Actually The Production Model - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Prototype Jetta Is Actually The Production Model

Do you recall the fully uncovered spy photo of a Jetta prototype that was leaked a few months ago? We originally thought it was just a test mule for the next-gen Jetta, but now CarScoops claims it was the production ready North America spec model all along.

They compared the recently released side profile teaser from VW to the white Jetta in the spy image and found it to be the same vehicle. There were a few posts about how inaccurate the rendering’s size scaling is and now we no longer have to guess. Even the front and rear were leaked along with its side profile.

Sharing its MQB platform with models like the Golf and Atlas, the new Jetta is expected to be powered by a 1.4-liter turbo engine delivering 150hp. Though CarScoops does mention “fuel-efficient petrol engines” in plural, they only listed the 1.4 and the six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic transmission it should be offered with.

Maybe the 2.0-liter, four-cylinder TSI engine that was mentioned by a spy photographers’ source has not been confirmed yet. If VW does decide to offer it with the Jetta at a later date, it could come with a GLI nameplate.

We’ll definitely see higher quality images of the new Jetta once it debuts at the 2018 Detroit Auto Show next month.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 03:09 PM

Sort of seen this coming with how much it shared with other new VW products like the Atlas and Arteon in addition to the fact the Jetta seen here already looked production-ready. Rarely car makers take it this far and then take drastic changes, signs of it being a test mule or not are obvious which in this case its not.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:51 AM

I thought it was just some weird prototype or custom project with how the garage looks. Didn't really see this coming because it's not often the fully uncovered production model is leaked ahead of its debut and so early as well.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moredoor View Post
I thought it was just some weird prototype or custom project with how the garage looks. Didn't really see this coming because it's not often the fully uncovered production model is leaked ahead of its debut and so early as well.
Compared to what I have seen there was a very small chance it wasn't the real deal but lucky for me and everyone else we got to see VW's new take on design through other models that paved the way for this. After that there's little else they can change. Not sure if you saw any hope for it to not be as cookie cutter.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 09:58 AM

Well I wouldn't really call it cookie cutter, though the rear isn't really awe inspiring. But I'm more than happy with what we're getting in the front and sides. Enough pinched lines to give it an aggressive look but not overdone and the grille has hints of the new arteon in it. Wouldn't think it was a Jetta from first glance.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 02:32 PM

The front end is a bit cookie cutter but lucky for Arteon owners it doesn't look nearly as nice as the Arteon. Although that could slightly change with a mid-cycle refresh as the Arteon also goes through one...passing on the genes Out of the gate though, they better do something special for the GLI.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:57 PM

Would look better if the grille was painted to match the headlights, a lighter shade than black to connect everything.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:53 AM

Then the Jetta's grille will be fully chrome, the headlight and chrome trim is actually pretty tall and to match that would cover a majority of the grille. It's fine as it in terms of color, though I wouldn't mind a few extra slats like the Arteon.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 02:01 AM

Hence the whole mention of a GLI model because odds are it will get what's being talked about here. Just to keep pace with everything else new at VW, I just can't imagine them not giving it a noticeable level of special treatment.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 10:21 AM

Did they make such a drastic bumper change in the outgoing Jetta GLI? I can only recall a headlight update and some red calipers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page