2019 Toyota Corolla - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

2019 Toyota Corolla

KBB recently did a head to head comparison of how the latest Jetta compares to the newest Corolla. With a mere $200 separating them in starting price, there will probably be many who are trying to make the same distinction. The Jetta is at a strong advantage in terms of standard tech (Carplay/Android Auto) and it also offers great safety features and a stellar warranty package. However the Corolla has a strong reputation for reliability and resale value.

Quote:
2019 Volkswagen Jetta
Starting Price: $19,440
Above Average: Very good driving manners, standard Apple CarPlay/Android Auto and a stellar 6-year, 72,000-mile transferable warranty,
Below Average: Limited engine choices, no hatchback variants, $800 addition for the automatic transmission, not-so-great residual value
Consensus: European driving dynamics and more tech make the Volkswagen Jetta an appealing compact sedan.

2019 Toyota Corolla
Starting Price: $19,620
Above Average: Great value for the money, high resale value, fuel efficient, and top-of-the-heap reliability with an added helping of safety features, hatchback variants
Below Average: No Apple CarPlay/Android Auto and driving dynamics leave something to be desired.
Consensus: While there’s nothing new about the 2019 Toyota Corolla, it still has a high quality, fuel efficiency, and value.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:43 AM

I really don't understand how automakers are releasing brand new models without proper phone support. How is this not a standard feature yet especially with all the changes to laws regarding phone use while driving. I will admit that the new hatchback variant of the Corolla is one of the better looking Toyota products I've seen in the last few years.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 06:13 PM

Brand perception is the biggest thing going for products like these. After dieselgate, VW lost a lot of interested customers. Not only that but Toyota keeps getting stronger.

The new Jetta will win over people who want Audi like design at a cheaper price range. Its like a highly toned down A4 simply put.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 10:52 AM

The new Camry is the best its ever looked, though its performance doesn't really match the new, more aggressive styling. The most important improvement that VW has made with the new Jetta is the factory warranty, because reliability concerns are one of the main barriers to entry for newcomers to the brand.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
The new Camry is the best its ever looked, though its performance doesn't really match the new, more aggressive styling. The most important improvement that VW has made with the new Jetta is the factory warranty, because reliability concerns are one of the main barriers to entry for newcomers to the brand.
My guess is Toyota will use it to release a high performing Camry eventually. Globally a performance division under Toyota has been brewing and they've launched only a few models so far.
It will happen but a big question will be to what markets? So far they've been restrictive.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:16 PM

Toyota just recently showed off a new GR Sport trim on the Yaris, so that could inevitably spread across their lineup. Ride height has been lowered, new dampers and a anti roll bar.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

It's weird that Toyota continues to bring out sportier variants of the Yaris, yet the 86 remains unchanged. I think out of all their vehicles that model has been the most underutilized.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 04:10 PM

The Yaris has stronger global reach which helps to justify spending the kind of money they did already.
Traveling overseas I can't tell you how many Yaris Sedan'sa and Hatchback's i've seen. They are everywhere.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:10 AM

Its also much cheaper for them to increase performance figures on the Yaris, which has been largely detuned. Once the Supra hits the market I'll bet that Toyota has plans to introduce a new sports car beneath the 86.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
Its also much cheaper for them to increase performance figures on the Yaris, which has been largely detuned. Once the Supra hits the market I'll bet that Toyota has plans to introduce a new sports car beneath the 86.
I think the Camry should get some sort of performance trim. Although some car makers struggle with sedans I think Toyota of all has a fighting chance.
Strong Camry sales help to make the case for more, but Toyota is cheap....in a good way

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page