Jetta Warranty - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Jetta Warranty

Is anyone thinking of getting the extended warranty? I think VW is offering 6 years/72,000 miles limited warranty. It's transferable and covers bumper to bumper. I'm just wondering if it's a necessity or hope nothing happens after the standard warranty expires? With so much new tech, fixing a car or replacing parts can be a pain down the road but what are the chances of that?
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 10:27 AM

There are two type of car buyers out there; those who want to be prepared for unexpected expenses, and those who can't stand the idea of paying for something they may never use. I'm of the latter category and the factory warranty should cover 3 years anyways. VW reliability isn't bad and only problems arise when you get a lemon. Really up to you if you think the sense of security is worth the cost.
Each car I've owned so far never had any major problems aside from the usual wear and tear so I don't see the need to start now.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 10:50 AM

It can be much like Russian Roulette when buying a brand new car, and you never know whether or not you’ll be one of the lucky owners. It’s true that for the most part Volkswagen's don't have serious reliability issues..but its not hard to find those examples of owners who’ve had to do engine swaps at 50,000km. I wouldn’t pay extra for a warranty, so factory it is.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
It can be much like Russian Roulette when buying a brand new car, and you never know whether or not you’ll be one of the lucky owners. It’s true that for the most part Volkswagen's don't have serious reliability issues..but its not hard to find those examples of owners who’ve had to do engine swaps at 50,000km. I wouldn’t pay extra for a warranty, so factory it is.
Not really, there are always things you can research into to give yourself the best possible chance of owning a great product but the problem is most people don't do the research. They just go with whatever brand they're comfortable with. Its not like everything a new car comes with is all brand new, it all comes from something.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I'm looking at the complaints lodged for the Jetta these past few years and the numbers suggests extended warranty isn't really needed. Looks like it has been on a decline since 2014 at 48 complaints to just four last year. So I'll probably forgo the extended warranty and hope for the best with proper maintenance.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:50 AM

That's a little surprising that extended warranties are on decline with all the recalls we've seen in the news lately. Although I don't think any of them have been for the Jetta in particular. Following the whole dieselgate scandal, its good to see that VW has paid close attention to build quality.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:35 AM

There are some reports however that VW diesels are still not delivering on the emissions standards, even following the recalls. If this is true, then VW should just get out of the diesel platform and transition towards hybrids/electrics.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:42 AM

Dieselgate isn't really a vehicle reliability problem, more like VW just fudging up the numbers and cheating. Extenuating circumstances like that are covered outside of warranty as are other recalls. They really should give up on diesel cars, though a lot of fans will disagree with me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I think the UK has a pretty good standard warranty because the first two years has unlimited mileage and the third year covers 60,000 miles. I think other markets are only covered up to a certain mileage each year with standard.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:58 AM

As far as I know, it's six years or 72,000 miles, whichever occurs first. So there shouldn't be a mileage cap per year. If you manage to hit that amount in half that time, it still ends your warranty before the 6 year mark.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page