Autotrader Reviews 2019 Jetta - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Autotrader Reviews 2019 Jetta

Autotrader just recently posted their review of the new Jetta and found the S trim with the Driver Assistance Package, as the best value for your money. They were impressed with all the new standard equipment such as LED lighting and Carplay/Android Auto, AEB as well as BSM. They didn't like that VW removed the Fender audio system upgrade and that there are no paddle shifters for the automatic transmission. In terms of rivals they felt the Civic, Mazda3, Cruze and Forte are also worth considering.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 09:42 AM

The Cruze is a model that often gets overlooked, and I think the revisions they have made in recent years have been a big step forward for the car. I know it does get a little pricey with certain options, but the biggest problem is with its small and slow engine.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 12:48 AM

Its a battle I feel VW is losing more especially with the new Camry out. Toyota has done well at making even the basemodel feel upscale. VW can however can be content being a runner up, but last I checked they were looking to do far better in the American market.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Even the new Accord has had a difficult launch alongside the new Camry. Though at first this was believed to be the result of poor leasing/financing options, it inevitably is just the result of declining interest in sedans in general. Luckily VW is putting most of their investments into upcoming electric models, and we may even see a new four door Beetle.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:15 AM

The Beetle is the perfect platform for electrification, and I am happy to hear they may be changing their stance on discontinuing it. I personally never really liked that it was only offered as a two door, as imo it made more sense to just go with the Golf.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDubbz View Post
The Beetle is the perfect platform for electrification, and I am happy to hear they may be changing their stance on discontinuing it. I personally never really liked that it was only offered as a two door, as imo it made more sense to just go with the Golf.
VW's problem was they kept the same approach for too long with the Beetle.

No other car maker held onto a similar product for decades.

At the very least they could have made it into a Fiat 500 rival on a nimble and lighter platform, but didn't.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

They also never fully explored the Beetle Dune, which could have been a really neat niche model. I know they wrote off this trim as soon as the EPA dropped the NOx hammer on diesel engines, but perhaps they could re-explore it with an electric powertrain.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:21 AM

Considering the popularity of crossovers, I wouldn't write that off as a possibility. Though with the newly released T-Roc and upcoming T-Cross, I don't know if VW will be bringing out yet another model.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDubbz View Post
Considering the popularity of crossovers, I wouldn't write that off as a possibility. Though with the newly released T-Roc and upcoming T-Cross, I don't know if VW will be bringing out yet another model.
If it wasn't for a major shift towards hybrids and electrics for the next couple decades then we'd see more "regular" VW products.
Already VW has 4 EV concepts that all focus on mass market models. In addition we're getting to the point car makers need to offer cheaper EV's, it a crunch!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
Autotrader just recently posted their review of the new Jetta and found the S trim with the Driver Assistance Package, as the best value for your money. They were impressed with all the new standard equipment such as LED lighting and Carplay/Android Auto, AEB as well as BSM. They didn't like that VW removed the Fender audio system upgrade and that there are no paddle shifters for the automatic transmission. In terms of rivals they felt the Civic, Mazda3, Cruze and Forte are also worth considering.
That's exactly the model I bought - S with the driver assist package. I think it's good combo, with just enough features to keep my happy in my daily commute (i.e. Carplay). The suspension is very soft, but it doesn't really matter when you're in stop and go traffic for 90% of your driving.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page