Hey everyone - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Hey everyone

Hello my fellow VW enthusiasts. I'm new to the forum and trying to stay in the know on what's upcoming for the next generation of Jetta. It really is shaping up to a car for long term loyalists and those who are new to the brand. The base line MSRP seems like a steal, and lets hope the specs and features follow suit.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 05:53 PM

Welcome to the community.
To start if you want more information on the new Jetta check the VW site, they already have a page covering basic information. While we wait for more information to come out it will be a good start for you.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man, I'll be sure to check it out. Do we know as of yet what transmission offerings there will be? From the website I only see automatic with a variety of different driving modes to choose from. Looks like the new model is hard selling new technology, with all the various safety/driver assist functions.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 11:18 AM

It would be surprising if they chose to remove the manual transmission at this point, but it is a little odd that the option doesn't seem to exist on the website.

2019 Volkswagen Jetta Keeps the Manual Alive at 2018 Detroit Auto Show | Automobile Magazine

Apparently at the Detroit Auto show, the new 2019 Jetta was showcased with a manual transmission, so it doesn't look like its been killed off just yet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 02:32 PM

Since this is correlated to the VW Golf i bet that once one of them stops getting a manual transmission the other is likely to follow. At the end of the day a car maker like this had to spread their risk of having a dying feature in at least more than one volume product. Even the Arteon comes with a manual!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 10:05 AM

Manual transmission still has a place in the world and lovers of that gearbox will be happy to pay less for the new Jetta too. Though I'm still going with the automatic transmission simply because my shifts aren't smooth and I'd go nuts in heavy traffic. If the six-speed manual proves to be a popular option, then VW will keep it around for a few more years.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 03:35 PM

I think its only useful if a car maker sells in smaller developing market where manuals are still needed a lot. It helps too that brands are merging, like what we have seen with FCA, if it wasn't for moves like that there would be far less manuals on the market today.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page