New guy - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

New guy

Just wanted to introduce myself upon joining up to the forum. Thanks for having me. I'm in the process of finding a new sedan and was originally going to go with a new Civic. But after seeing the pricing around the new Jetta, I figured I'd see what new owners are saying about the 2019 model.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 11:11 AM

Welcome to the community. We only have a handful of owners so far, but early impressions seem to be quite positive. I'd consider taking a test drive of each vehicle and going from there.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 PM

I don't get to drive the wife's Jetta much these days, but there are "quirks". Most of them in the dashboard & related "logic". And many wouldn't be obvious unless you had multiple drivers.
The various menus in the entertainment center aren't all logically laid out, and I'm constantly pushing way more buttons than I should to get at info. You can customize the center display somewhat, but not as much as I'd like. And documentation on the various settings is pretty much non-existent.

But once you get past that and settle in on the UI you prefer (most of which is remembered with your profile), it rides & drives nice, is very comfortable, and has extremely good gas mileage.
The Beats audio system is good, but not great. But that would depend on what you're comparing to (in my case, my Jeep Grand Cherokee blows it away).
Love the LED headlights. Unlike our old Mazda3 with HID, these are extremely well-designed. At low beam they get really good front & side coverage, with minimal flashing from other drivers (you'll always get the occasional old fogey flash you just because). With the high beams, you can land aircraft! And once you get used to the quirky user interface for the high beam control, the automatic high beams work really well.

I'm the kind of person who, no matter what it is I buy, there's "something" about it I'd have designed differently. So too with the Jetta. :-)

Definitely drive a Jetta, and a Civic, and a couple of other models in your price range. When we were shopping I'd spent many hours coming up with the feature list of "must have", "nice to have", "can't have" and "wouldn't pay extra for". The Jetta ticked the most boxes for our desires, but your own boxes might differ.

Brad.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 03:27 PM

Lining the cabin with dynamat should go a long way in improving the audio system.

Not always are the speakers alone the issue but where they are housed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 AM

Welcome to the forum! I suspect with the Jetta's new pricing that you wont be the first person weighing out these two options. The dealers that you choose to visit will probably also have a pretty big impact on your interest in either model.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
Welcome to the forum! I suspect with the Jetta's new pricing that you wont be the first person weighing out these two options. The dealers that you choose to visit will probably also have a pretty big impact on your interest in either model.
Yeah on that note its important sometimes to know what dealer allocations are like and to even work with dealers that have no problem getting models from other dealers. Not always will you find the exact spec your after and not always will just any dealer handle the process smoothly.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions everyone. Hoping to get some time behind the wheel of each car in the coming weeks. Fuel economy is also a big factor to me and I think the new Jetta is class leading in that regard.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora View Post
Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions everyone. Hoping to get some time behind the wheel of each car in the coming weeks. Fuel economy is also a big factor to me and I think the new Jetta is class leading in that regard.
Are you planning to take it for a test drive? I hope you do especially after coming from test drives of vehicles within the segment.
Perspective is everything.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page