Autonomous Emergency Braking - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Autonomous Emergency Braking

My 2019 has Forward Collision & Autonomous Emergency Braking (front Assist). I am trying to figure this out from the manual. Seems pretty complicated.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Got to try it today. Came up fast on s parked car and the dash display came on as the auto brakes were applied. Try this at your own risk!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 AM

Best way to experiment with this is in a lot, but I agree its a bit nerve raking to test. I know not all AEB systems are created equal either.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

How do you test it in a lot? With a real car or some sort of prop?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:44 AM

I'd suggest something like a collapsible safety cone. But I'm sure there are various house hold items that would work the same. Good that everything is working as intended.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:00 AM

Save yourself the money and test with a construction cone from site once its quiet.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:45 PM

I'd advise against using a cone. The front sensor isn't a camera, it's a millimeter wave radar behind the VW badge in the grille. I doubt a rubber cone or cardboard cutout would give enough reflection for the system to sense it. The manual even warns that the system might not pick up on a bicycle or motorcycle, and at least they have some metal to reflect the radar signal.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 11:49 AM

Millimeter wave radar is usually described as being able to detect pedestrians, although I see VW hedges - that may reflect more legal realities than engineering goals. I wouldn't try it with a person, car or tree - if the test doesn't go well, it will be catastrophic. Something like an empty outdoor plastic garbage can is pretty big so you'd hope it would be detected, but it's not valuable itself and shouldn't damage the car too much if you hit it. Assuming you have a safe empty road, maybe you could do it at 30mph and plan on swerving into the other lane to slip past the can if the car looks like it won't stop? Better to miss the obstacle altogether if the test is a fail, even if it's a plastic garbage can.

Last edited by 1594; 02-17-2019 at 11:55 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserW View Post
I'd advise against using a cone. The front sensor isn't a camera, it's a millimeter wave radar behind the VW badge in the grille. I doubt a rubber cone or cardboard cutout would give enough reflection for the system to sense it. The manual even warns that the system might not pick up on a bicycle or motorcycle, and at least they have some metal to reflect the radar signal.
I only recommended that because those cones you see on construction site are very big and quite dense, not something a regular person can buy at a local store
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:53 AM

I came across this new IIHS page showing results of such systems in their first round of testing, across 11 compact SUVs. This was for simulated pedestrian hazards, not simulated vehicle hazards. Some of them worked very well, others better than nothing, and 1 of them not at all (BMW). See the video on the page lined below.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...strian-crashes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page