RPMs stay elevated after hard acceleration? - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Question RPMs stay elevated after hard acceleration?

Hi Jetta owners. I drove a new Jetta at the dealer and liked the test drive experience overall. It was the 1.4 liter turbo engine with 8-speed automatic transmission. One thing that concerned me was, I punched it when I had some room on a highway to feel the acceleration to ~ 65mph. It accelerated well, but when I let my foot off the gas - it wasn't even touching the pedal any more, the engine RPMs stayed high and only very gradually fell off, which seemed odd. In other cars I've owned, the engine revs fall rapidly when you take your foot off the gas pedal completely. Sales guy said the transmission would adjust over time to my driving and not hold the revs up. Has anyone else experienced this? Did it change to more of a conventional behavior over time? Thanks!
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:03 PM

That to me sounds like a one off problem with the particular model that you drove. The car may have been sticking in a lower gear for whatever reason. New cars do take time to learn your given driving habits, so that could very well improve over time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:48 AM

sensors are a big issue with cars these days, as the amount of them grow so do the issues and at this point I think it comes down to having a good dealer to work with.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:50 PM

Issues like this generally improve as a new vehicle is worn in, so the dealer isn't wrong about that. If I were you I would test drive a second model to confirm that everything is working as intended. No way to know how long these demo cars have been sitting for.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
Issues like this generally improve as a new vehicle is worn in, so the dealer isn't wrong about that. If I were you I would test drive a second model to confirm that everything is working as intended. No way to know how long these demo cars have been sitting for.
the downside is we never know when exactly the break in period is over. some sources suggest it can take well into the 5-figure mileage range to start seeing consistent feedback, not to mention the varying conditions influencing how break-in's progress

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page