Autochannel 2019 Jetta Review - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Autochannel 2019 Jetta Review

Just wanted to share this first drive review from The Auto Channel. It looks like the EPA rated 34mpg is pretty accurate, as the test drive was found to be getting around 36mpg. It seems like Larry was very impressed with the balance that VW has struck with the longer wheelbase and powertrain, with good handling, braking and a comfortable ride. An important note is the 6 year/72 000 mile warranty, that is also transferable from one owner to the next.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:24 AM

The R line is definitely a disappointing trim, as it looks like most of the changes are very minor. Not worth the price tag imo. Glad to see that the new model is delivering on its projected fuel economy at least. Do we know if there is any way to disable the start/stop system that's standard on all automatics? If not I guess that's one reason to go for the S trim.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Don't think there's way to turn off the start/stop system even though it is annoying when you're hitting a stop sign or short light. I know some cars have the option to turn it of temporarily, but it's back once the car is shut down and then turned on again. So there doesn't seem to be a permanent solution unless the aftermarket can figure it out.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:45 PM

I had that on my 2015 Jeep Cherokee, and you do get used to it. You eventually learn to "feather" the brake pedal to reduce the number of times it kicks in, or you get used to it. There's also a button (the Jetta has the same one) which is an 'A' with a circular arrow around it, which turns the "feature" <snort> off ... but only until the next time you restart. There is no permanent way to disable it.

When testing the Jetta, it appeared that their implementation may be slightly more intelligent, but I'll know better when mine gets delivered. In my mind, the smart way to design start/stop would be a short delay (say, 5 seconds) between coming to a stop and the engine shutting off. That way, for brief pauses you won't experience it, but for longer ones (eg. stopped at a red light) you will. The Jetta *appeared* to have such a pause.

I solved the problem with the Jeep by trading for a Grand Cherokee with the 5.7l V8 Hemi. The Hemi's aren't burdened with such nonsense. :-)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Luckily this kind of tech wont be around for much longer with everything becoming electrified in the next few years. I've rented various cars that had this feature and despite my best efforts, I just couldn't get used it. I'm sure in the new Jetta that the feature has been improved upon.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:51 AM

Having just spent the last 3 days with the company Tesla, electric cars won't be the norm anytime soon. The technology just isn't viable enough for anybody who drives more than a handful of miles per day, unless they live/work with guaranteed access to charging stations.

I was glad to dump the Tesla back off and hop back into my Jeep. :-)

My prediction: unless there's a significant change in battery technology and/or charging technology, the electric car boom will collapse in dramatic fashion.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 AM

Tesla is definitely not the company to look at for electric cars, and I firmly believe if they don't make aggressive adjustments to their strategies that they wont be a key player in the years to come. I feel like Jaguar, Kia and Nissan are far more poised to lead the segment, but you are right that there is still a vast amount of improvement to be made on the technology. Have you seen the specs for Kia Niro EV? Its boasting a 280 mile range, and on a crossover no less.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
Tesla is definitely not the company to look at for electric cars, and I firmly believe if they don't make aggressive adjustments to their strategies that they wont be a key player in the years to come. I feel like Jaguar, Kia and Nissan are far more poised to lead the segment, but you are right that there is still a vast amount of improvement to be made on the technology. Have you seen the specs for Kia Niro EV? Its boasting a 280 mile range, and on a crossover no less.
It has to be understood that Tesla is in this for the long term. Being one of the first car maker to come out with different types of EV's, its part of their job to also show what EV's are capable of. Its why Elon started with a roadster years ago before moving onto the Model S.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

How will they be in it for the long term, if rivals continue to offer cheaper and similar performing rivals? And none of those models are likely to have the same extensive wait period. Even I can't deny that the Roadster is looking pretty incredible, and when it comes performance Tesla is top notch.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page