2019 Jetta arriving in dealerships - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By bpsmicro

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

2019 Jetta arriving in dealerships

It looks like the newly redesigned Jetta has begun to arrive at dealers across the U.S. And one dealership in particular (Douglas VW in Summit, N.J) has posted a comparison to the outgoing model. It's obvious from the sole engine offering that VW was really focused on hitting that 40mpg figure, but hopefully they consider expanding the powertrain options in the future.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 11:15 AM

Shame the 2019 model is under-powered compared to all the engine offerings in 2018 because as nice as fuel savings is, people don't want a car that feels slow and cumbersome.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 01:41 PM

Doesn't feel slow and cumbersome to me. Our other vehicles are the Jeep with the 5.7l Hemi V8 and the Stage-2-tuned WRX, so we're comparing with plenty quick vehicles. But I find "normal" acceleration on a highway on-ramp or when wanting to pass is plenty adequate.

Ours is replacing a demised Mazda 3 GT with the 2.5l 4-banger, and I find this is comparable enough. We're probably not going to be autocrossing it (I asked, the wife said No), but for routine highway and city driving we have no complaints.

The youngun (who normally drives the WRX) had the same "concerns" when we were looking at the Jetta originally, but it hasn't stopped him from borrowing it as often as he can (usually when he's our of gas ... again). :-)

That said, if I was the kind of person who'd be interested in the R-line or similar sport model, I'd probably be wishing for a bit more beef under the hood too. ;-)

Brad.
jettison and erikjhockey like this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:15 AM

I mean its still a turbo charged engine, so its going to be plenty quick in terms of acceleration. Personally I think it was a wise choice to go with the smaller engine, as that not only increased their average fuel economy, but also probably helped them keep the base price down.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:50 AM

What the wife doesn't know is fair game, autocross it!
That aside, numbers aren't everything and it would be nice to get that 210hp engine as an option, but what the current Jetta provides is fine. There's always sport mode if you find the standard trim limiting.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsmicro View Post
Doesn't feel slow and cumbersome to me. Our other vehicles are the Jeep with the 5.7l Hemi V8 and the Stage-2-tuned WRX, so we're comparing with plenty quick vehicles. But I find "normal" acceleration on a highway on-ramp or when wanting to pass is plenty adequate.

Ours is replacing a demised Mazda 3 GT with the 2.5l 4-banger, and I find this is comparable enough. We're probably not going to be autocrossing it (I asked, the wife said No), but for routine highway and city driving we have no complaints.

The youngun (who normally drives the WRX) had the same "concerns" when we were looking at the Jetta originally, but it hasn't stopped him from borrowing it as often as he can (usually when he's our of gas ... again). :-)

That said, if I was the kind of person who'd be interested in the R-line or similar sport model, I'd probably be wishing for a bit more beef under the hood too. ;-)

Brad.

Some people I spoke to that drove the Arteon suggested that if going for something sportier as a long term buy, forget the Jetta, Arteon is where its at. I sort of agree. Personally I can see myself settling with just an entry level Jetta.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

I think the new lower price and standard features on the '19 Jetta are going to bring a lot of new owners to the brand. I think there are plenty of people looking for a new car, who don't have interest in driving a Civic or Corolla.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:26 PM

I think its still going to be tough battle with brands like Mazda and Ford getting into the space with competitive products like the Fiesta and Mazda 3.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page