Stress Fractured Windshield - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Stress Fractured Windshield

So my poor '19 black on black SEL Premium is already back at the dealer after 2 weeks of ownership. I was the first person in my area to pick one up, and all the sudden after getting in the car one morning there was a crack on the lower right portion of the windshield (passenger's side). I took a look there was no rock chip/impact in the area so I called the dealer and they told me I had to bring it in. The service manager said the same thing (no chip/impact) and the crack was growing over the course of the day. So right now I'm in limbo as to what's going to happen but I know it's going to be a full windshield replacement which makes me so sad... Hopefully will have more info today but the car has been nothing but good to me otherwise, I'm getting about 43mpg on my way to work every morning which is about 27 miles mostly highway which is better than what they even estimated so I'm a happy customer as long as my windshield gets replaced under warranty.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 03:43 PM

Given the new platform, it'll be useful for people to post stuff like this, so we can watch for trends.

On my Execuline (Canadian version of SEL Premium), no cracks, but the driver's side blind spot indicator keeps coming on for no reason, but only when it's wet (raining, or recently rained). Luckily it also still comes on when it's supposed to. Not sure if it's a mal-adjusted sensor (if they even can be adjusted), a short somewhere, or might be as simple as a software error.

So far, nothing else of note. For the moment we're gathering data on this glitch, and we'll bring it in at some point. I want to see if I can reproduce the problem with a garden hose spray or something first.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:29 AM

If its a stress crack, which it is definitely look like, than it will be replaced free of charge. Still sucks to be without your new car so shortly after its purchase though. That is some fantastic fuel economy that you're getting so far.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
If its a stress crack, which it is definitely look like, than it will be replaced free of charge. Still sucks to be without your new car so shortly after its purchase though. That is some fantastic fuel economy that you're getting so far.
Yeah the economy has been out of this world.

Just got a call from the dealer they got approval from VW to replace the windshield under warranty but don't know how long it will take to get the glass. The service manager said hopefully by the end of the week it will all be take care of but we'll see...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:50 AM

Glad to hear that VW will be footing the bill and hopefully this was a one off issue. Not often to do we see new models exceeding EPA ratings, but that's fantastic news for any interested buyers.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Think stress cracks are going to be a problem with all new Jettas? Probably should ask what cause it in the first place, if the windshield was poorly fitted or just the wrong size.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:03 PM

I will be looking into build quality as soon as some autoshows roll around. Often car maker show off half-cut models of high volume products, or those that showcase key company practices.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:48 AM

I think its likely just the result of flexing during production/shipping. This can be a problem on any new generation model, and it's almost always covered by the manufacturer. Fingers crossed they source the new glass quickly.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:04 PM

Hopefully this isn't the result of some cost cutting efforts they made that lead to this. If so then it will be reason for judging the rest of the vehicle for more problem areas.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Still waiting on them to source the glass...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page