Jetta and Tiguan push VW sales for June - 2018 7th Gen MK7 VW Jetta Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Jetta and Tiguan push VW sales for June

Volkswagen has reported a 5.7% increase in sales last month, due to both the new Tiguan sport utility vehicle and the all new Jetta sedan. Sales totaled 7,239, with the new 2019 model accounting for 5,168 units. With these numbers the first half of 2019 is almost a 10% jump over the same period from last year. Suppose this means both the redesign and new price point of the Jetta is already starting to pay off.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM

Those are some pretty solid numbers considering the new Jetta has only recently become available. It does seem to disprove Fords belief that there is no money to be made from sedans. I just think they had way too many options in the lineup and unfortunately that led to internal competition.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
Those are some pretty solid numbers considering the new Jetta has only recently become available. It does seem to disprove Fords belief that there is no money to be made from sedans. I just think they had way too many options in the lineup and unfortunately that led to internal competition.
The problem is with offering the right type of sedan. VW has long established its current models, the are legacy models that have stood the test of time and have buyers that keep coming back.

Ford... they keep changing the recipe.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Ford just recalled another 550,000 vehicles, so that's why they aren't making any money with sedans. Hard to turn a profit when you're constantly dumping money into products to repair them. VW is really going to benefit from them pulling out of the NA market.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 09:58 AM

The main competitors for the Jetta are going to continue to be the Civic and Camry. And considering the impressive facelifts that those models have recently seen, its a good thing that VW made some adjustments to the Jetta's pricing.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Imo even the base models of the Civic have become way over stylized. I do like the changes Toyota has made with the new though, and I think its about time they took an interest in more sporty aesthetics.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDubbz View Post
Imo even the base models of the Civic have become way over stylized. I do like the changes Toyota has made with the new though, and I think its about time they took an interest in more sporty aesthetics.
Car makers catering to entry level segments are pressed for engaging designs and features. Naturally styling is the cheapest way to do it. Without, cars look bland. Just look at this base Civic sedan:

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:16 AM

I'm assuming that you're referring to the new Civic hatchback? I know it shares quite a lot of similarities with the Type R, but I see that as more value for the money. I would say that the new Camry has changed far more drastically.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
I'm assuming that you're referring to the new Civic hatchback? I know it shares quite a lot of similarities with the Type R, but I see that as more value for the money. I would say that the new Camry has changed far more drastically.
Camry is a great example even as a base product.

It brings into question what motivations car makers have for doing what they do.

Honda on one hand either keeps it simple or outrageous, Toyota not so much.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Toyota is finally starting to explore more unique designs, and I hope that we see their new GRMN trim expand across their lineup. With the decreased interest in sedans over recent years, it's going to become increasingly important to offer more sporty driving characteristics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page